About VFW 3484
The Post was granted a charter on May 23, 1936 with a membership of thirty six veterans from the surrounding communities and within a few months, the Ladies Auxiliary was also chartered. The Post was named for two young soldiers from Maywood, NJ who gave their all on the battlefields in France during World War I. Private Elmer M. Romaine and Private John J. Sinniger, Jr.
Private Elmer Romaine enlisted May 11, 1918, in the Main Machine Gun Company Eleven at Camp Hancock, Augusta, Georgia. He sailed for overseas duty on July 29th on the Mauretania and was eventually to Company A, 60th Infantry, 5th Division on September 19th. He was killed while in action, having been struck with enemy shrapnel during the drive that turned the tide on September 25, 1918 at Point a Meusson, France. He was twenty three years old.
Private John J. Sinniger, Jr. enlisted in Company G, 5th Infantry, N.G.N. May 14, 1917,at Hackensack. He left Pompton Lakes for Fort McClellan, Anniston on September 16, 1917. While at Anniston, he was transferred to Company C, 114th Infantry, 29th Division. He sailed to France from Camp Stuart, Newport News, Virginia in June 1918, arriving at St. Nazaire later in the month. Private Sinniger served on the Lorraine front and was killed in action on October 12, 1918, in the Argonne Forest, while serving with Company C, 114th Infantry. He was buried in “Death Valley” at the foot of Hill 360. He was eighteen years old.
Membership growth swelled with the end of World War II, and by mid-1948 plans were underway for the construction of the post home on property appropriated by the Township of Saddle River. Actual construction with volunteer labor began in May 1948 and by Jun 19, 1950, the first meeting was held in the mew post home. Monies came from bank loans, building bonds, 50-50 club and donations. By mid-1956, the Post celebrated the burning of the first mortgage. Progress did not stop there, as in 1970 the Post completely remodeled the club area. In 1984 the main meeting hall was refurbished. While a great deal of time and effort by both the members and auxiliary went into these projects, the Post continued with its community service work. This included scholarship awards, hospital parties, donations to the Ambulance Corp, Fire Department and to the needy. Children’s Christmas parties, blood banks and many more projects that aid the community are what make its members proud of the Romaine-Sinniger Post and Auxiliary.